Monday, January 5, 2009

Roasted Grape Tomatoes


Roasted Grape Tomatoes

Whenever I end up with more produce than I can use, I look for ways to prolong it's edibility. It just makes good "cents". With food prices rising in the markets due to our current economic climate, I, like many, really can't afford to throw anything out. An article in the New York Times published in May of 2008 reports we Americans throw out an estimated, whopping "27 percent of food available for consumption", according to a government study. Truly astounding!


Two Week Old Grape Tomatoes


Lookin' a Little Wrinkley

These grape tomatoes which began to resemble miniature, partially deflated balloons, were getting a little too wrinkly for fresh use in a salad so I figured I could roast them to squeeze a few more uses out of them. Once roasted and jarred, they should last a couple of weeks or so in the fridge.


Some Garlic and Thyme, Salt and Pepper
and Olive Oil


Roasted at 350 for 12 Minutes

The tomatoes were washed and dried and placed on a baking sheet with minced garlic, fresh thyme, salt and pepper, and olive oil and allowed to roast in a 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes. During the roasting process, they pop and dry out a bit. Their flavor intensifies and they kind of take on a flavor of a sun dried tomato that was dried on a cloudy day albeit with thyme and garlic added into the mix.


Lifespan Extended


After they cooled just a bit, I spooned them into a clean jar and added a little more olive oil. I could have filled up the jar with olive oil to displace all the air which probably would have been better for preserving them but olive oil ain't cheap. Now I can use them in my next pasta recipe.

No comments: