Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pear, Gorgonzola and Medjool Date Pizza


Pear, Gorgonzola and Medjool Date Pizza

Okay, so perhaps I'm being hypocritical by posting this pizza so shortly after writing that the evolution of pizza has gone too far and it's time to get back to basics, but it is one of my favorite "new" pizzas.

The pizza I'm talking about is the pear and Gorgonzola pizza. Although I've had versions that eat more like a salad on a bread plate, my aim was to bake a sweet dessert pizza, more like a pear tart on a pizza crust.

After rolling out the leftover dough from the last batch I made, I topped it with Bosc pear slices, chopped Medjool dates and a sprinkling of funky Gorgonzola. Into the outdoor grill it went and when it was all nice and crispy (about eight minutes), out onto the cutting board it slid to cool a little before it got drizzled with some clover honey.


The toppings were sweet but the sweetness was nicely offset by the savory Gorgonzola and the crust which took on an almost smokiness imparted by the grill. Some vanilla ice cream was definitely in order... if I had some in the freezer that is. Guess there will have to be a next time.


No comments: