Saturday, September 27, 2008

Waste Not Want Not


Salmon Hash

This morning for breakfast I had salmon hash with a fried egg on it, a couple of slices of wheat toast and some orange juice. The hash was made with flaked fresh grilled salmon filet, potatoes, red onion and a bit of parsley for color. It tasted great and was filling to say the least.


Alright, I have a confession to make. You perceptive types may have picked up on the fact that the potatoes in the picture look suspiciously uniform. No, they're not the frozen type that are already cut into little cubes.

Last night, T1 and I decided to go out for dinner. We like to frequent Pann's, an authentic diner from the fifties because it's affordable there, we know all the waitresses on a first name basis and the food is just plain good. Not much has changed in this place except the menu which is pretty modern for a diner. In addition to great unpretentious burgers and all the usual diner faves, they also serve things like bouillabaisse and braised short ribs of beef. Their breakfasts are hearty and their pies and cakes are killer. I ordered a bacon cheddar burger with fries and T1 ordered the grilled salmon filet. (Okay now you might have figured out where this is going) We ate until we were stuffed but being the kitchen forager that I am, I couldn't not take a doggy bag home with me. In it were the fixin's of the breakfast to be, salmon hash. YES! Those are day old french fries!!! I know the concept of recycled leftovers may not seem palatable to some so to those who have trouble warming up to the idea, I'll euphamistically refer to it as "recontextualized cuisine". Well, it did the job and started my day so it was good for that purpose I suppose.

Once again, as with the old potato post, if you happen to be at my place for breakfast, I promise not to serve you a recontextualized breakfast-at least that you're aware of anyway.


One Man's Trash


Is Another Man's Hash


No comments: