Thursday, September 25, 2008

Going to the Dogs


Peanut Butter Dog Bones and Carrot Doggie Biscotti

We ran out of dog biscuits again today. Our two pups (I say pups but they're actually six and seven) love their dog biscuits. They used to get them as a special treat once or twice a day but as the years have gone by, they have managed to train me well. With persistence and repetition, they practice measured tactics that have reduced me to a dog biscuit ATM. I can't blame them for their efforts though, they look forward to their treats and much like me, having something tasty to eat has become a highlight of their day, almost as much as a visit from the mailman each afternoon.

T1 bakes dog biscuits for the pups (which they always love) so I decided to try my hand at it. After foraging in the kitchen for ingredients for a few seconds I came up with everything I needed to give it a try. I combined the whole wheat and all purpose flours, oats, water, milk and baking powder, needed the mixture into a stiff cookie dough and divided it into two balls. I folded some microwaved peanut butter in one and microwaved shredded carrots in the other. I rolled out the peanut butter mixture and cut them out with a bone shaped cookie cutter and threw them in the oven. For the shredded carrot mixture, I took a cue from a biscotti recipe and baked the whole thing in a log, took it out of the oven half way through, sliced it into individual biscotti (is biscotti singular or plural?) and returned them to the oven to finish baking.


So what did my critic's have to say? Don't know, they're dogs and they can't talk but judging from the number of withdrawals on their ATM statements, I'd say the biscuits were a huge success!

Update: Our six year old was up all night with an upset tummy. Luckily she's clever enough to wake us up when she's not feeling well so we can let her outside. She seemed to really enjoy the cookies but perhaps she enjoyed them a little too much (I should mention, as the enabler, I enjoyed giving her cookies a little too much as well) I guess there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing". From now on, when it comes to these cookies, we'll both have to practice a little moderation.

No comments: