Saturday, December 27, 2008

Prince Edward Island Mussels


PEI Mussels

The little card in the glass case said "PEI Mussels". I wondered, Pei is a Chinese name, like I.M. Pei the architect, what's the deal, are these mussels from China or something? Anyway, they looked good and fresh and since I got to Santa Monica Seafood toward the end of the day and it wasn't too crowded, the friendly fish monger"ess" was happy to carefully sort through them to make sure I only got the lively ones with unbroken shells.

At only 6 bucks or so per pound, I thought they were a pretty good deal even though much of that weight happens to be shell. When that shell contains something so sweet and flavorful though, I don't mind spending a little extra for the packaging.

I was curious about the name so when I got home, I googled it and found out the P.E.I. stood for Prince Edward Island. Duh! Shows how often I eat mussels (not nearly enough) or how well I pay attention to the waiters in restaurants when they tell me where the mussels are sourced. Yes... call me unsophisticated.


PEI Mussels


I rinsed them, heated up a pot, put them in with a tablespoon of olive oil, some minced garlic and chopped parseley and put the lid on tightly. After a few minutes, they popped open and steamed in their own juices, perfect for sopping up with french bread. The flesh was light orange in color, tender and sweet.


Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

I washed them down with a tall glass of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Yup..... I celebrated.

No comments: