Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Leftover Bento


Leftovers


Make something out of nothing is kind of my motto in the kitchen. That's basically what this lunch is, a plate of nothings, but put all those nothings together and the sum looks far more appetizing.

I spent part of the late morning, as I do most late mornings, scavenging around for something to have for lunch and found a bunch of little containers filled with stuff leftover from Christmas six days ago; wasabi tobiko (wasabi flavored flying fish roe), ikura (salmon roe), tsukemono (Japanese pickles) and beni shoga (pickled ginger). The tobiko and ikura aren't typical leftovers in this house, but on this occasion I was lucky to have them sitting patiently in the fridge, waiting to be eaten. I added fried Portuguese sausage from the freezer, topped a bowl of white rice with everything and... instant bento.

No comments: